Sunday, June 13, 2010

Change

Our Bishopric was changed today after 5 + years. While I knew it would likely happen soon, I still felt as though I had been hit in the gut when told "soon" would be today. My emotions burst forth without warning.

I spent a full day yesterday reflecting on the past two years of my own service as Relief Society president. My association with Bishop Burton has been a great learning experience for me. My eyes were opened much wider as to the things a Bishop must deal with. There is SO MUCH that is demanded of him, and yet he seemed to shoulder it all with ease, although I know it wasn't easy.

I have watched this man evolve over these past 5 years from a capable, educated man to a loving, generous, strong, patient, kind-hearted, spiritual giant. I learned things from him that helped me in my own calling and responsibilities. We have worked side by side on numerous welfare issues and had fallen into a groove, understanding each other and working well together. That was now to come to an immediate halt.

I am just full of gratitude for the lessons he taught me, for the genuine love he gave to all, for the Christlike way in which he ministered to his ward members.

I know callings are only for a time, and I'm grateful for the time I had to serve when and with whom I did. I now have the opportunity to serve with another, and perhaps learn other lessons I have not yet mastered.

I am not worshipping man, but rather expressing my gratitude for recognizing how God can work THROUGH man.

3 comments:

  1. Well said.

    Of the people effected by the change, you will be among those that feel it most intensely because of the close working relationship a bishop and RSP must have.

    You know how much I love Bishop Burton, he really is a great man. As RSP, he was the only bishop I worked with. But change is good. I know our new bishop will be great too.

    Hugs and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing the lessons we learn from those who enter our lives?

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I only got to watch from the outside. I'll bet it was quite a show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He really has grown, and you helped him with that. Thanks for helping him to get more done, and serve more people. You are terrific!

    ReplyDelete