Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Another missionary

My son's mission papers are on their way to Salt Lake. We should find out by the end of the month where he will be called to serve.

We have been looking forward to this day for a little over 19 years now; teaching him, leading him, loving him, started making preparations last December, working on the paperwork since the beginning of summer, and now all we have to do is wait for the call.

When he told me about this last step being completed, and that everything is on its' way, I couldn't stop the tears from forming. What is my problem? This is a GOOD thing; something we've always hoped he would want to do. We have two other sons who have served missions and we know the blessings that come from serving in this way and how much this experience builds character and makes a man out of boys. There's so much good that comes from this, and yet...life changes from here on out. Changes are good, but change is change. I lose a piece of my little boy.

I'm not ready to say goodbye, yet this is what a mother must do. We can only nurture and protect for so long. I love this son of mine, and love the one who gave me this son, so...I will send him on his way with faith and love in my heart.

3 comments:

  1. I am with ya, sistah! We can cry together. I love that boy of yours, and I am so glad he has been like a brother to my own missionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been there. Yet. But just thinking about sending Alex out fills my heart to the brim. Now you've gone and added one more drop and I'm spilling over.

    And just so you know, I think your son is going to be an AMAZING missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! I can't wait to hear where he's going.

    I'm with Luann. Just thinking about it makes me want to hug Nik and not let go. A good thing or not, it's tough to let them grow up.

    Has anyone told you recently how incredible you are? Because you are!

    ReplyDelete