Friday, October 1, 2010

Duel to the End!!

After "losing it" last night and gorging on pizza and doughnuts and soda, I realized how quickly my summer of good habits can go out the window. It scared me because I do not want to undo all the good I did during the summer. So...I challenged my sister to a duel.

We started today, Oct. 1st, with a resolve to not eat sugar for one year. We've got Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas to get through, but it's not like we'll NEVER get our favorite treats again EVER, and it's time to take action and not just talk about it.

I could never do this with any of my friends because we're too forgiving. If we slip up, we tell each other it's OK, that we deserved that treat. I need someone to push me. My sister is extremely competitive. She is strong and immovable when she has her mind made up. I never thought I was competitive myself, but when I'm with her and we play games, she wins more than I do and it really ticks me off. And then she gloats about it, which really riles me up. So, I knew she would be the one to do this challenge with.

I texted her this morning with my proposal. She jumped all over it, and said "I'm In...starting NOW" and she proceeded to throw away 1/2 a candybar she had in her desk at work. (I thought "crap...I've unleashed a monster!"

Throughout the day, we've come up with other ideas. This first month is no sugar, then on Nov. 1st, we have to add something to the list, and here's where it'll get dicey. We get to choose what food to eliminate for the other person. We know each other's favorites too. We'll add a new thing each month. We're going to save what we know is the hardest thing, for the last month. Her's is coffee. She's gonna die (well, I hope not literally, and I hope that my evil plan will actually help her be more healthy).

We're also putting a little bit of money aside, intended for the winner, but we're both so determined to win, that should we both make it to the end, we're going to have a sister get-away, using the money we've set aside.

I'll report each month on the new thing that was added to our list of no-no's, and hopefully by being accountable to you, I can be a winner. My sister is determined to "kick my butt" and she's already calling me "LOSER".

BRING IT ON!!!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it. I would recommend keeping track of how good you feel or how much weight you are losing so that you have a reminder of why you are staying strong. If it turns into straight withholding it will be hard. I am a good cold-turkey person, so call if you need encouragement!

    2 months and one day for me. And 18 lbs down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! I'm so impressed with your accomplishments. I have been tracking what I eat vs. how I feel all summer, and do notice that sugar actually makes me sick, so why I went back to it, I really don't know. Emotional upheaval I guess.

    I admire your strength to do what you're doing. 18 lbs. is so awesome! I feel so much better after what I've lost too, so I need to keep focused. I just may call you or text you during a weak moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go for it!!! just post pictures of st george and the tuachan on your bathroom mirror to remind you of the getaway, and that you can't let her beat you!!!

    ReplyDelete