Friday, December 10, 2010

Rat Race to Peace

I attended my youngest son's choir concert tonight. It's one of my favorite things to do. I found myself totally relaxed and enjoyed the evening immensely. I then realized that I only have 2 1/2 more years before he graduates, thus an end to all the running around to sporting events, fund raisers, concerts, volunteer work, and so much more. I remembered back, not too many years ago, when all six kids were in school, each involved in something, and it seemed like we were in a rat race all the time, running from one thing to another, but ya know what? I loved every minute of it.

My quest for the month of December has been to take the time to slow down enough to really enjoy the season; to experience it with all my senses. Is it really possible to "slow down" while in a rat race? Yes, it is. I realized tonight, after tiredly plopping down in my seat, that I could push other concerns aside and just enjoy the moment. I experienced pure joy watching my son perform and I allowed myself to be carried away in the music and feeling in the air.

We had been invited to a party this evening as well, but once home, I didn't want to shortchange my son and run off to one more thing. This was his night. I wanted to talk to him about it. My rat race ended at home.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I LOOOVE the title to this post. So true that we need to make a conscious effort to have peace. I feel much less stressed this year at Christmas. Maybe it is because I only have to kids at home. Maybe it is because I got an early start to my shopping. I am not really sure. But I know I am feeling a lot better this year in that dept. My new thing to learn this year, is how to keep the excitement and wonder when all of the kids are older, or married, or away from home.

    ReplyDelete