Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nerves

No matter how many times I have to stand in front of people and take charge of something, I am ALWAYS nervous. My body reacts in embarrassing ways and I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. I DO feel more confident in myself as a person, but I wonder if I'll EVER feel comfortable being a "leader". I walk into church every week, trying to make sure I smile at, hug, talk to as many women as I can. It's a goal of mine to make everyone feel important, which they ARE, and I don't want anyone to feel invisible, although that's the state of being I would prefer to be in myself. I look at the back row, corner seat, longingly, but have to make the long walk up front. I keep thinking that after all these years, I would be more comfortable and certain things would become easier. Not so. As a young girl, playing the piano at a recital, hands and knees are shaking, head is nervously shaking, eyes twitch, and here we are years later, same thing. I find myself so preoccupied with trying to keep my body from going into convulsions, that I just might miss "reaching out" to someone and I've been told before that it has been interpreted as me being "uppity". Ouch! Yet I try so hard, and will keep trying, even though it would be much easier to stick my head in the sand.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I bet no one can even tell that you are nervous. You're great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are GREAT at what you do. There's just a light around all the relief society. You are a friend instead of an authority figure, something that some wards might be missing! they're lucky to have you! and probably when you're finally able to be invisible... you'll wish to be where you are now again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You uppity? Pu-lease! You seem very comfortable. I think you do an incredible job. People are attracted to you because you always smile and have a welcoming spirit. I think you are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Warm and welcoming is how I've always seen you. Cut yourself some slack and ignore the nay-sayers.

    ReplyDelete