Monday, November 29, 2010

Of Things That Matter Most

Pres. Uchtdorf has given me pause to think once again, about my priorities and what I can do to simplify my life.

Why is it that I am always running from one thing to the next? My husband has tried for years, to get me to just take a little time at night to sit down next to him to watch a TV show together (the WHOLE show, not just bits and pieces while running off to do a load of laundry or whatever else I feel just HAS to be done). I want to, but don't dare. It seems like a luxury, a waste of time. There's too much to be done, and if I don't do it, nobody will. Really? Does it matter?

But then...what DOES really matter most? It's absolutely relationships; with God, with family, with others, with self.

The Christmas season is here. Every year I have regrets on Dec. 26th that I didn't enjoy the season as I always anticipate I will. The reason? Because I'm too "busy" to enjoy it. I'm too "busy" to really "BE" with my kids. I'm too "busy" to really soak in all the sights and sounds and events. I'm always thinking of the next thing I need to get done.

I am pledging to myself, that THIS year really will be different. I WILL make time to sit on the couch by my husband. I WILL make time to spend with my kids. I will make prayer more meaningful. I will focus on the true meaning of Christmas. I will take stock of my frenzied schedule and see what I can change or cut out, in order to make time for the people and things that matter most.

3 comments:

  1. And I will come back and read this post over and over to remind myself to do the same.

    Don't you just love President Uchtdorf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plan. I have been thinking the same thing, especially since Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm holding you to it! I want to see a giant pile of laundry in the laundry room when I come over christmas day. :)

    but for the record you are a great mom and wife and always take the time to make everyone feel special.

    ReplyDelete