Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mr. Springville

My son competed in the SHS Mr. Springville competition, which concluded tonight. None of my other sons participated in this particular activity so I had no idea what was involved. It was quite the major undertaking.

First he had to apply and be accepted into the competition. The application process was more than just signing a piece of paper saying you wanted to enter the contest.

Then all this week there were daily competitions: Leg Day, Costume Day, Cake Day, Poster Day, and Improv day. There were several weeks of early morning rehearsals for their opening dance number, which was SO good. They had to have a talent, which was shared tonight in front of a packed auditorium, there was a swimsuit competition (very modest and humorous actually), a formal-wear competition, and so forth.

Tonight was especially nerve-wracking for my son as he tried to psche himself out for his comedy routine (his talent). I was just as nervous as he was. I want my son to feel succeess. He just didn't want to bomb, and embarrass himself. Well once he got on stage, he did AWESOME! He had the crowd in the palm of his hand. They loved him. I was laughing my head off, but it's even more gratifying to hear everyone around me laughing too.

My son didn't take home the crown, but I couldn't have been more proud of him. He did a very brave thing. All the other kids did great with their talents as well, but they either had others participate with them, or they had music as their companion. My son took a risk and had to put himself "out there", and even the MC guy, who does comedy for a living, told me afterwards that my son "killed it!" I also saw my son's dedication to all that was required of him, which is good preparation for life itself. I love this kid.

If you care to check out the competition, you can google it and look for Mr. Springville "live" (or something like that.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Seriously, that is some brave thing your kid did. Of course he chose comedy -- perfect for him.

    Congratulations for getting through the week. That's a lot of work. And congratulations to him for putting himself out there. What a man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched it on Don's facebook page. We laughed pretty hard. He is a rock star!

    ReplyDelete