Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Rosy Life

We had a disappointment today. Our married son who currently lives with us (along with his wife and little boy) has worked so hard to get to a place where he can provide for his family. He has a good job, but it is only parttime. He has tried to prove himself as an employee, bent over backwards to develop a good reputation, gone the extra mile, accepted extra shifts and assignments at the drop of a hat, and FINALLY a fulltime position opened up. He was well qualified and applied for it. He interviewed not once, not twice, but THREE times (which is a great sign). He had to take tests, he had to go on a "drive-along", he had to complete paperwork with the HR department. He interviewed well. The three "big-wigs" who did the interviewing, really liked him and narrowed it down to my son and one other guy. They took a week to make their decision. The other guy got the job.

The first emotion we feel is a sickness in the pit of your stomach that precedes despair. Then anger sets in. We know "the other guy" has only been with the company a very short time, and yet his 20 years in retail, spoke louder than the experience my son has to offer. Well how long does my son have to wait to get that experience so badly needed? Sometime, SOMEONE'S got to give him a shot and let all his other great qualities speak louder than his younger years that rob him of being able to claim years of experience.

All I want is a rosy life for my children. Of course I know there must be opposition in all things. Of course we all deal with disappointment throughout our whole life. Of course "life isn't fair". Of course in years to come we may look back and see why things happened the way they did. But for right now, I just want to fix things for my son. I want to see him rewarded for his efforts. I want OTHERS to see what I see in him. He and his family deserve a bed of roses. Unfortunately, those roses have thorns. If I could pull them out for my children, I would. But instead, I just hurt and ache for them.

God bless this wonderful son of mine.

5 comments:

  1. That stinks! I hope he finds something soon. It's tough out there, it took me almost a year to find a good full-time job. I seriously think I applied for over 200 jobs. We will keep them in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree -- you do have a wonderful son! He is a wonderful son-in-law as well and we love him and his special little family. We are very proud of them! We will continue praying for them. Patience is a difficult lesson to learn but something great will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the job. I hope things improve for him soon.

    It's so frustrating to see your children hurting and not be able to stop it. I remember the first shot for my firstborn. She cried and I cried. And it's been like that since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your terrific son. He deserves the best. We were just talking to our married boy the other day and we told him how long it took for us as a new couple to get our feet on the ground. It seems like forever, but the Lord looks out for great people like S and B. You are a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a wonderful person. :) It is always a sweet moment to hear a woman express her motherly feelings for her child.

    ReplyDelete