Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Capacity to Love

At the news of another grandson soon to join our family, I have thought about how the capacity to love keeps expanding throughout my life. I feel a deep love for someone who has not even been born yet. The birth of my own 7th child brought me as much joy and love as my first one did. The soon-to-be birth of a 3rd grandchild is as exciting as I anticipate the birth of our 36th to be. The heart has the ability to grow and love, and embrace another, and another, and another life and relationship.

I think of the hundreds, maybe even thousands of people who have crossed my path during my life; who have influenced my life for good; who have caused my heart to grow with love.

The sweetness of love is magnified when it is returned to you. Just this morning my daughter texted me, just to tell me that she thinks I'm the best Mom ever and that she hopes she will be as good of a Mom as I am someday. WOW! She made my day. It happened to come in a moment when I had just been thinking about ways I could be a better Mom. Her love in that short text came through loud and clear.

God has given me a glimpse of His love for ALL of us. I am filled with gratitude.

3 comments:

  1. It is so true that our heart are unlimited in their capacities to love. Such a cool thing. And those little texts from the kids can make every single thing seem worth it, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being pregnant with my second and worrying that it was impossible to love another child as much as I loved my first. I was wrong.

    Beautiful post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with luann. Beautiful. I remember sitting in church a long time ago and was just struck with the overwhelming feeling of love for every single member in our ward and I felt like I wanted to share it and let them know how much heavenly father loves them is so much more than what I had just felt. Then I realized the relief society is there to do just that. Spread the feeling of love that our father wants so desperately to share. and sometimes he lets us know through the spirit when someone needs to hear it through a text too. I didn't know if it was you that needed to hear it or if it was me that needed to say it. I think it was both. :) love you!

    ReplyDelete