Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Teacher Trouble

When my son comes home and tells me about a negative classroom experience, I always listen patiently, and then try to explain what angle the teacher might be coming from. I always emphasize: respect!

But sometimes certain situations get my blood boiling just a bit. For instance, my son came home and said that he went to class all happy, walked in and did a little dance step, spun around, and plopped down in his chair, while giggling with other classmates. The teacher's assistant (long-time teacher in this particular department), who was teaching that day, asked "what's your name?", so he told her, and she said "do you get your attitude from your older siblings?" He gave her a quizzical look, and asked if she knew "so-and-so", and she said "oh ya", and proceeded to lecture him on respect, and pointed out that he clearly enjoys calling attention to himself, and what the proper way to act is, etc., etc. He came home completely stunned. First of all, he LOVES this subject, does well in it, shows talent in it, had a teacher at the previous school who LOVED him, all other teachers report that he's a "great" kid and that they love him and his humor, etc., etc. Secondly, he'd been labeled because of older siblings. Third, she bawled him out in front of the class. Fourth-His previous teacher "fanned a flame" and his love for this subject became a full raging fire. I'm just afraid that a negative experience with a teacher who sends clear messages to the child that she does not like him, or his presence in her classroom, is going to squelch that fire that took so much work on my part and others', to "fan" in the first place.

Other kids have complained about this teacher before, but they perform for her because she scares them to death.

I emailed the head teacher, just to voice my concern; to nip-it-in-the-bud so that his whole year isn't miserable. I was very kind in my words, and her reply was kind, yet fully supportive of her assistant. I am not usually a whiner, or a ranting and raving parent, but come on, who sticks up for the child if their own parent won't? Teachers back each other up, the principal backs up the teacher, and it's the child that is always assumed to be the one at fault.

I don't agree, and I am angry.

Just for the record though, I am in awe of teachers and am so grateful to them for all they do for all of us who learn at their feet. There is just a definite distinction between those who have a passion for teaching, and for those they teach; and those who just do it for the paycheck. Sad!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry he had such a negative experience. I can't even tell you how many emails I have written to teachers over the past 2 years. Political discussions in class that were inappropriate. Teachers shooting down my kids. A teacher who called my sweet guy a cheater, etc.

    I love my job and I love being a teacher. If you don't love teaching, and you are not interested in the hearts of your students, then quit now and make room for people who are! Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. that poor kid. (i can tell who it was.) He had a bad experience with a teacher last year too but at least the principle stuck up for him and helped him out.

    also... so what if us defreeses like attention? we're never disrespectful, we just like to be liked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We DeFreeses don't need to be liked. We like to be liked, we enjoy being liked, we HAVE to be liked. But it's not like some compulsive need. Like our need to be praised.

    ReplyDelete