Friday, July 16, 2010

Colonoscopy

Ever since Katie Couric became a spokesperson for prevention of colon cancer by getting a routine colonoscopy, I knew when I turned 50 that it was something I just had to do. The "prep" for the procedure isn't as bad as some have said. The trick is to get the lemon flavored magnesium citrate, NOT cherry or grape. (The nurse gave me that tip.) AND, chill it first. It's fizzy like soda pop and tastes like a generic brand of soda, only pretty strong. I did fine with the first dose. The 2nd dose was a little harder to get down, but it was OK. It did upset my stomach and I found that rather than needing to be CLOSE BY a toilet, I needed to pretty much stay put ON the toilet.

I did sleep from about 2:30 am to 5:15 am. Got to the hospital by 6:00, but had to "empty" again. I was so worried I wasn't cleaned out enough, even though I should've been. I didn't want them to send me home, saying I needed to try again another time. I was also worried about being covered up properly. When it was my turn, I was told to roll to my left side. I was adjusting my gown and blanket so as to cover myself completely and wrap it all around me like a mummy. I'm sure the nurses were laughing inside themselves, knowing in about 2 min. they'd be undoing what I had just so carefully done. My nerves had also caused my blood pressure to rise quite high. But they quickly gave me the medicine to make me sleepy. They also give you a "forgetful" drug. What the heck do they do to you that you have to forget? Isn't the drug that puts you to sleep enough? I don't get it. But I won't complain. I guess I don't want to remember anything. I was watching the monitor, wondering how long it would be before I became drowsy and next thing I knew, I was waking up with Terry beside me. I was done.

It only took 15 min. and we were home 2 1/2 hours after arriving. The Dr. pronounced me clean, no problems, and I don't have to repeat that procedure for another 10 years.

I think it's so important to do what we can to take care of our bodies. I for one, would like to be on this earth, enjoying my family and friends, for as long as possible, and I will do all within my power, to make that happen.

I did allow myself to indulge in some "cheat" food tonight, which I haven't allowed in a while, but the pizza didn't taste nearly as good as I had anticipated. Kinda made me sick. Back to my healthier choices tomorrow. I feel so much better eating that way. I must add though, that the chocolate I allowed myself tonight tasted WONDERFUL! THAT won't ever change.

4 comments:

  1. I am proud of you! Way to go (get it? "go")! LOL

    I will be right there in 4 years, but for now I will just get excited about my mammo in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray it's over!! and hooray for chocolate! you know I'm not a chocolate eater really but I had a dream that I ate your whole stache last night and you were not happy about it.... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Good for you. Not a test I'm looking forward to.

    Glad it's over and all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouraging words. Today is my prep day and I am a little nervous. I'm not sure if I will be able to attend any Church meetings today other than sacrament meeting. I think I am good for that. I am scheduled for 10:15 a.m. tomorrow (Monday). I didn't think about not getting a full night's sleep. I will see how that goes. Congratulations for being brave! I'll report later:)

    ReplyDelete