Sunday, July 25, 2010

Defending my beliefs, with love.

In preparation for a lesson I will be teaching next week, I asked my sister what it was that led to her rejecting the religious beliefs we had grown up with. In recent visits, we have avoided the subject of religion, not wanting to offend the other. But tonight the walls came down and we both shared our innermost thoughts, while expressing love for each other. While I was able to understand how she felt, I also understood on a new level why I believe the way I do and I wanted to share that with her. In the sharing, I strengthened my own beliefs as I told her of some personal experiences of my own that let me know without a doubt, that what I believe is true. I will never deny my faith. I would never want to force what I have on someone else, but rather I want to share. The happiness I have in my life, is not just for a select few, but is meant for all to enjoy. While she may not agree with me, I love my sister, and will continue to love her for who she is.

3 comments:

  1. That was really brave of you. I used to be bolder about talking about my religion with family, but G and I kind if felt like we burned out a little.

    I love my family for who they are too, but tour case is different with a sister who has turned away from something. You are a great example to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sharing your faith can be a tricky thing to negotiate. Not wanting to sound holier than thou. Not wanting to act superior.

    Knowing the right way begins with the heart. Speaking with love. Wanting to share something of value to offer the opportunity to another person.

    Sounds like you were able to walk this fine line beautifully. Which doesn't surprise me. Every time I have been around you, you have radiated love. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the same kind of conversation with my dad. When we seek to understand someone rather than change them, it really can give strength and healing to both. I'm sad I won't get to hear your lesson. I'm sure it will be excellent.

    ReplyDelete